You ask what Anki is?
It’s a program that helps you memorize words, laws, poems and basically anything you want. We are going to learn the Russian alphabet with this fantastic program. Anki in Japanese means memorization. It’s free and easy to use. You can download Anki for Windows, Mac or phone.
Russian, compared to English, has a different alphabet. Obviously, the first thing you need to learn is the Russian alphabet.
So let’s start with the basics.
Check your email; it should be already there!
Russian alphabet consists of 33 letters:
А, Б, В, Г, Д, Е, Ё, Ж, З, И, Й, К, Л, М, Н, О, П, Р, С, Т, У, Ф, Х, Ц, Ч, Ш, Щ, Ь, Ъ, ЬI, Э, Ю, Я.
6 letters represent vowels.
А, У, Э, О, ЬI, И.
Four letters represent vowels combined with the [j] sound (represented by Й in Russian).
Й + А = Я
Й + У = Ю
Й + Э = Е
Й + О = Ё
23 letters represent consonants:
Б, В, Г, Д, Ж, З, К, Л, М, Н, П, Р, С, Т, Ф, Х, Ц, Ч, Ш, Щ.
2 letters represent special signs:
Almost every consonant in Russian can be palatalized; such sounds are usually denoted by consonants combined with the soft sign:
БЬ, ВЬ, ГЬ, ДЬ, ЗЬ, КЬ, ЛЬ, МЬ, НЬ, ПЬ, РЬ, СЬ, ТЬ, ФЬ, ХЬ.
The palatalized pair of Ш is denoted by a separate letter Щ.
Palatalized pairs for Ж, Ц, Ч are very rare in Russian and do not have any representation methods.
If a consonant is followed by any of iotated vowels or vowel И it becomes palatalized.
БЯ, БЮ, БЕ, БЁ, БИ– these all are palatalized consonants, although they look like simple ones.
Are you ready to start?
You are going to learn:
- Vowels: A, О, У, Э, ЬI, И;
- Iotated Vowels: Я, Ё, Ю, Е;
- Consonants: Б, В, Г, Д, Ж, З, К, Л, М, Н, П, Р, С, Т, Ф, Х, Ц, Ч, Ш;
- Palatalized consonants: БЬ, ВЬ, ГЬ, ДЬ, ЗЬ, КЬ, ЛЬ, МЬ, НЬ, ПЬ, РЬ, СЬ, ТЬ, ФЬ, ХЬ, Щ;
- Special signs: Ь.
- Not palatalized Simple syllables of [cv] type (like БА, ВА…), where [c] stands for consonant and [v] for the vowel. All possible combinations of letters listed above are included
- Both palatalized and not palatalized Letter – syllable combinations where each item consists of syllable and one of the letters included in it. (like Б – БА, А–БА, БЬ–БЯ, Я – БЯ)All possible combinations are included.
You can get two types of decks:
Free (at the bottom of the page):
- Introduction cards (Student sees and hears item and is asked to repeat)
Premium (buy only for 2 $):
- Listening cards (You’ll hear an item and you’ll be asked to identify it, then you will see the correct answer, and you are going to repeat it again);
- Reading cards (You’ll see a flashcard, you read it out loud, then you are going to hear the correct answer and repeat it again).
Grab the Premium Deck that has 1796 cards and make your first step to fluency.
Do you want to get closer to the Russian culture? Check out Russian Legacy.