Anki is a program that helps you memorize words, laws, poems and basically anything you want. We are going to learn the Russian alphabet with this amazing program. Anki in Japanese means memorization. It’s free and easy to use. You can download Anki for Windows, Mac or phone.
Russian alphabet consists of 33 letters:
А, Б, В, Г, Д, Е, Ё, Ж, З, И, Й, К, Л, М, Н, О, П, Р, С, Т, У, Ф, Х, Ц, Ч, Ш, Щ, Ь, Ъ, ЬI, Э, Ю, Я.
6 letters represent vowels.
А, У, Э, О, ЬI, И.
4 letters represent vowels combined with the [j] sound (represented by Й in Russian).
Й + А = Я
Й + У = Ю
Й + Э = Е
Й + О = Ё
23 letters represent consonants:
Б, В, Г, Д, Ж, З, К, Л, М, Н, П, Р, С, Т, Ф, Х, Ц, Ч, Ш, Щ.
2 letters represent special signs:
Almost every consonant in Russian can be palatalized, such sounds are usually denoted by consonants combined with the soft sign:
БЬ, ВЬ, ГЬ, ДЬ, ЗЬ, КЬ, ЛЬ, МЬ, НЬ, ПЬ, РЬ, СЬ, ТЬ, ФЬ, ХЬ.
The palatalized pair of Ш is denoted by a separate letter Щ.
Palatalized pairs for Ж, Ц, Ч are very rare in Russian and do not have any representation methods.
If a consonant is followed by any of iotated vowels or vowel И it becomes palatalized.
БЯ, БЮ, БЕ, БЁ, БИ– these all are palatalized consonants, although they look like simple ones.
- Vowels: A, О, У, Э, ЬI, И.
- Iotated Vowels: Я, Ё, Ю, Е.
- Consonants: Б, В, Г, Д, Ж, З, К, Л, М, Н, П, Р, С, Т, Ф, Х, Ц, Ч, Ш.
- Palatalized consonants: БЬ, ВЬ, ГЬ, ДЬ, ЗЬ, КЬ, ЛЬ, МЬ, НЬ, ПЬ, РЬ, СЬ, ТЬ, ФЬ, ХЬ, Щ.
- Special signs: Ь.
- Not palatalized Simple syllables of [cv] type (like БА, ВА…), where [c] stands for consonant and [v] for the vowel. All possible combinations of letters listed above are included.
- Both palatalized and not palatalized Letter – syllable combinations where each item consists of syllable and one of the letters included in it (like Б – БА, А–БА, БЬ–БЯ, Я – БЯ). All possible combinations are included.
- Introduction cards (Student sees and hears item and is asked to repeat);
- Listening cards (Student hears item and is asked to identify it, then he sees correct answer and is asked to repeat);
- Reading cards (Student sees an item and is asked to read it out loud, then he hears the correct answer and is asked to repeat).
Alphabet, reading, pronunciation.
First, you’ll need Anki, download it here.